Thursday, August 02, 2007

Sorry for going M.I.A. but...

Hey guys,

Sorry for going M.I.A. in the middle of the 3 part series on the The Gorge Box Set but it couldn't be helped.

On July 12, I lost a good and old friend of mine. It was a shock to hear the news. I dropped everything and went to be with his parents. They are taking it the hardest.

He was an only child and a father of three boys and loving husband. We grew up together as kids and there wasn't a weekend that went by that we didn't sleep over at each other's houses. But as the years past, we grew apart and found other friends but we would see each other at least 4 or 5 times a year on holidays.

I had visited with his mother the week before his death and asked how he was doing. She let me know that he had been kinda down lately. It seems he had been unhappy about living 2 hours away from his parents and the job he had was less than he envisioned for himself.

I should've called him. I should've been there for him. But life got in the way and I missed my chance.

He came home to visit his parents that week. I think it made him feel happy being home. On July 11th, sometime that night, he took a handful of prescription medicine from his mother's cabinet and never woke up.

As a person of faith, it goes against my belief to take your life and I have been wrestling with this in my mind for these past weeks. Anger at him and myself. Sadness and tears at his funeral. The realization that he's gone.

If you know of anyone that is depressed, don't ignore it or put off speaking with them. Your voice and ears could be what puts their minds at ease. Get them some help or just be there for them.

The next podcast is dedicated to him.

Alex, we miss you!!!

Here's a link to his Obit:

http://obits.caller.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewobit&ID=55193

No comments: