Monday, June 29, 2009

Pearl Jam make a commercial for Target? Not really. Let me explain

It seems that the world is coming to an end. Not only are icons dropping like flies, i.e. Farrah Faucett, Michael Jackson, but now the day that I thought I'd never see will be here soon. No, not my 40th birthday. Pearl Jam has made a commercial for a major corporation. I hear they have already filmed it, with Cameron Crowe directing. Well,if you have to make a commercial, it's always good to get a great director.

Now, I know what you're thinking right about now. "It's not like they are hawking hamburgers or cars. They're trying to sell an album." I know. I know. I guess I never wanted to see them go so mainstream.

But the more I think about it the more I can understand them having to do it. For the first time, they won't have a major label to help sell their new CD, "Backspacer". They have to do it themselves. This could be a very interesting thing to watch when you think about it. Not alot big names have done this to sell their latest album. The only other I can think of is Prince.

I think this helps both parties. The band gets their album in front on people that they may not otherwise have access to and the big box store gets exclusive rights to sell the CD. They like the money part (like I had to point that out to you).

I guess the jury will be out until September but I think Prince moved alot CD's when he sold his CD exclusivly and i think it hit number 1. What do ya think?

No comments: