Monday, April 17, 2006

Copyright issues

Hey guys,

It has been brought to my attention by a person that had decided to leave a comment on my blog stating that I was selling Pearl Jam T-Shirts and that I was violating copyright laws by including the word Pearl Jam on the shirt and selling them for profit.

First of all, I am in no way using any copyrighted logos, artwork , etc. that Pearl Jam owns. Yes, the word Pearl Jam does appear on the shirt. But everything else on this t-shirt is of my creation and I can do what i wish with it. BTW, I am NOT trying to make money for myself with the sell of this shirt. I am raising funds to run this podcast. I have purchased headphone and mic, software (Mixcraft for podcast editing and record now for interviews). And let me tell you, I am still in the hole with this. Tons of profits, right?!

Second, this person also thanks me for playing Unemployable but that he hopes that Pearl Jam's lawyers don't come down on me for doing so because people are getting for free on the podcast.

This is just not a great position. What keeps people from recording songs off the radio and keeping them as their own. All I am doing is playing songs on my podcast and just like radio stations do. I have not played any leaked or illegally gotten songs. I subscribe to other podcasts that play songs, clips of audio from TV shows, use artwork from shows, etc. and they don't get letters from lawyers. They even have paying sponsors like Time-Warner.

In closing, I am trying very hard not to cuss or go off on this guy but I will say he is someone that doesn't know very much about these issues and has alot of time to leave a comment on my blog about this issue.

If you want to leave a "nice " message for him on his blog, you can visit his blog: JT's Blog
Do a search for his blog on blogspot. I don't want to be sued by him for linking to his blog without his permission. He seems to need the hits on his blog.

::stepping down from soapbox::

No comments: